A New Year, A New Semester of Pharmacology

After a much-needed holiday break, classes are back in full swing! We hit the ground running with our endocrine and reproductive pharmacology module. Encompassing the treatment of diabetes and thyroid disorders, to the function and use of sex hormones. It was definitely a tough first module after a few weeks spent binge-watching Netflix, but the material hit very close to home since I have relatives with thyroid disorders and diabetes. I was able to connect my personal experiences watching my family members struggle with these diseases to the material in class, which made studying for the module exam much easier. I was pleased with the results on the exam and I believe that the changes I made in my study habits and approach are a large part of that. With the first module of the semester behind us, we have spent the last two weeks focused on our neurology module. I have found this module more difficult because of the complexity of neurologic diseases and treatments. However, similar to how I felt after our module on the renal system, I have gained an immense appreciation and interest in the material despite its difficulty.

This semester also brings more elective courses to supplement the backbone of our curriculum with classes focused on cell control mechanisms and environmental signaling in medicine. In addition to these, I've decided to take a headfirst dive into writing a master's thesis. I chose to embark on writing a thesis in an effort to challenge myself and undertake a project that would allow me to synthesize the research I've done in Supramolecular Chemistry with the pharmacology course material. I know it's going to be the most challenging thing I've done as a student and I'm looking forward to the rollercoaster that lies ahead.

Outside of class, I have started prepping to begin coaching another semester of middle school debate. However, the debate season isn't going to get into full swing until after Mardi Gras. Until then I have time to help the new coaches get prepared for the first few weeks and figure out new ways to challenge my students to grow as debaters.




January Service Hours: 0
Semester Service Hours: 0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Student's Challenges during a "New Normal"

What Day is it? Life as a Graduate Student in the Midst of a Pandemic

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler and the NBME Studying Truly Commence